After a good nights rest, I went into an hour long special ultrasound where I was examined by a radiologist. We then met with the Director of the Fetal Treatment Center who gave us the final diagnosis for Hayden's type of Spina Bifida, myelomeningocele. It was determined that he does have the most sever form of the defect. Although he does have the defect, we are hopeful due to his legs movement and lack of club feet, a sign of sever nerve damage.
We met with each doctor in the following videos:
After a quick break for lunch I had another hour long Fetal Echocardiograhm. This was our best news by any doctor thus far where we were told that Hayden's heart is perfect. We ended the day speaking with a 20+ year Spina Bifida Clinic Coordinator who will be available to us for continuing questions and support groups following Hayden's birth regardless if we participate in the study.
Tomorrow is our big decision day after having a 2 hour MRI starting at 6:30am. It is still uncertain if Hayden will qualify for the study or not based on some new unfavorable findings in his brain. We will meet with the Hayden's Fetal Surgeon, the high risk OB and finally the Social Worker before our decision is made at 12:30.
We are seeking inspiration and revelation to add to all of the knowledge we have been given and weighing those risks to possible rewards. It boils down to if the possible benefit of Hayden not having a brain shunt is worth the possible risks of prematurity and surgical risks for me.
Though this trying time, we have felt lifted by remembering back to each person's expressions of concern and hope through phone calls, e-mails and prayers.